Di Vaio Retires!



A legend of the Italian footballing movement in North America has decided to hang up his boots. Marco Di Vaio announced that this is his last season as a footballer, and will do so as a Montreal Impact. 

The former goalscorer for Bologna, Juventus, Lazio, Bari, Salernitana and many others was interviewed by Emanuele Righi for GianlucaDiMarzio.com, showing that his feelings are quite mixed: “I’m happy, sad, and worried at the same time. I’m happy that I’ll return home to my family in Bologna, sad because my living dream of being a footballer has come to an end, and finally I’m worried because I don't know what my new life will be like. Of course, I want to continue living and working in the football world”.

The 38-year old reminisces of his time as a Serie A player: “Lazio is my home base, I grew up in their youth system. At Salerno I felt strong emotions for the first time as a professional in an incredible and unique environment. At Juventus, I competed with many champions in a top team, while at Parma I learned that to be decisive, I had to improve a lot. The hard work is the only way to do that, and I think I succeeded”.

The Roman-born then thinks about the place where he left a significant mark, and the place of his rebith, Bologna: “I savored every moment with that jersey like never before. I returned on top after a difficult moment: that’s why I say that those were my best four years, also thanks to the love of an entire city”. 

Careers are marked by bright lights but also by dark moments, this was Valencia for Di Vaio: "I lost the confidence in my self for two very long years. Luckily I moved to Bologna after that".

Di Vaio names Cannavaro, Thuram and Maldini when asked which top players he played with or against, but "The greatest is Alessandro Nesta, with whom I started at Lazio's youth system and finished in Montreal”.

In his career, Di Vaio scored a total of 245 goals in 597 appearances, won a scudetto, an Italian Cup, a two Italian Supercups and one European Supercup.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#SerieA Road Trip Personal Blog Day 8, Paying Respects to Crosstown Rivals

My very personal wish to Juventus on her 120th birthday

My Champions League Final