#SerieA Road Trip Personal Blog: Day 6, Juventus-Olympiacos



Yet another soupy, clammy day in Turin.

The weather has been the most disappointing thing during my time in Italy. Over a week and a half here, and I've had cool and or rainy days except for two of them. 

Day 6 is the day of the Champions League match between Juventus and Olympiacos. But it was much more than that. 

I started the day by travelling to the Juventus Stadium (the "a" is pronounced open and long - it's Latin) and took advantage of the special matchday tour. On my way, I met a group from the Lecce area. They spoke mostly dialect but I could still make out what they were saying. Their Italian accent sounded more Sicilian to be honest - I can hardly believe that we hail from the same region (Puglia).

I spent about two hours in the Juventus Museum, and then took the Stadium tour. I was happy to see that the matchday tour changes slightly from the canonical tour that I attended twice before. I was disappointed, however, that the changeroom was not prepped with jerseys in the players lockers, as it was advertised.


Juventus change room ahead of the match against Olympiacos



Gianni and Umberto Agnelli Club, the most prestegious lounge at Juventus Stadium


The main thrust to my purchasing tickets to this game in the North End of the stadium (not the most ideal view) was to see my star. As I referenced below, I own a piece of Juventus Stadium and had my name engraved on a "star" (a round placque) on the Promenade of Stars (Juventus Legends) that surrounds the upper ring of the Stadium.

After multiple attempts at trying to see it, either through the Stadium Tour, or attending matches, I finally was informed that the only way for me to see my star is to purchase tickets in the North End, Gate F. I entered the Gate approximately two hours early. Just my luck it was dark and rainy. After combing through the hundreds of plaques, there it was - Rocco Robert Fasano.


My plaque at Juventus Stadium

Upon seeing it, I was overtaken by a sense of pride in knowing that part of me is always present at Juventus Stadium, forever. I thought back at the 6000 Km of travel, sacrifices, and worry (many of my friends even challenged its existence). All of it worth it.


The Match 

Juventus was faced with a do-or-die situation against Olympiacos, coming from two consecutive Champions League losses against Atletico Madrid and against the same Olympiacos. A loss would have meant nearly certain elimination at the group stage.

As the match kicked off a few things were evident: bianconeri boss Allegri was forced to make a formation change and his men were not comfortable in their new suit. Until today, Allegri stuck with his predecessor's 3-5-2 formation. He was forced to abandon due to too many injuries at the centre back position. 

It was also clear that the Juventus players were a little anxious to put the game away, their nerves getting the better of them as they made several mistakes. Then, at the 30th minute Juventus gains a free kick in Pirlo territory:






1-0 Juventus. However, only a few minutes later, Olympiacos equalizes with Boita who heads the ball in off of a corner that was cheaply given away by Buffon. 1-1.

As the halftime whistle sounds, the Juventus Stadium is murmuring nervously. "Too many mistakes in front of goal", one laments. "Well, this is Allegri's game play, what do you expect?", another exclaims angrily.

The second half got under way with an attacking Juventus. They create chance after chance but just seem to be lacking the depth necessary on the flanks, which the Greeks are conceding to them.

Just as Juventus are pushing forward, Mitroglu crosses the ball on a counterattack and N'Dinga scores to put the visitors ahead. Despair takes over among the crowd. And over Juventus. 2-1 Olympiacos.

Just three minutes later, Juventus pour on the attack and Pirlo brushes a cross in for Llorente's head for the tying goal: 2-2. To be honest, I didn't even celebrate the goal as I was so upset by the goal just conceded.

One minute later, Pogba breaks through the middle of Olympiacos' defense and punches a shot through that goes past Roberto for the go-ahead goal. 3-2 Juventus!

"Ole ole ole ole, Juve! Juve!" cheers the crowd, followed by deafening whistles whenever the visitors touch the ball. 

In the dying minutes Tevez earns a penalty that could have meant something for tie-breaking purposes, had Vidal scored it. After egging the crowd on, the Chilean sloppily misses the penalty. One hopes that the miss won't cost Juventus' passage.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#SerieA Road Trip Personal Blog Day 8, Paying Respects to Crosstown Rivals

My very personal wish to Juventus on her 120th birthday

My Champions League Final