#SerieA Road Trip Personal Blog: Day 5, Dancing in Puglia

A week has gone by, but it feels like one day.

This period was a time for some catching up, merrymaking and for consuming some delicious typical barese and southern Italian delicacies. The latter included dairy (first among which mozzarelle and gelato), meats (braciole and sausage alla barese, bresaula), fish (trout, salmon prepared in cevice) as well as some wonderful sweets (bignè and zeppole) prepared by my aunts.

Speck and Stracciatella Pizza, my faviourite
White beans with steamed chicory, Altamura bread to dip


My week-long break from Turin saw Juventus fall to Genoa, with a last-gasp goal by Antonelli, and rise again (establishing once more a 3 point gap atop Serie A) thanks mostly to a Pirlo free kick that broke the ice in a tricky game against newly promoted side, Empoli.

My departure from Bari was difficult as always, not due to difficulties in reaching my destination but for sentimental reasons. I'm very tied to my family in Italy, and to my parents' the home town - the town of my adolescence, my friends, and one might say my "first love".

After a tearful goodbye, I proceeded to security check. As I stepped through the metal detector, it went off. "It must be that you're wearing that Juventus tracksuit" said the officer with a ironic smile.
That sentence entertained me but it reminded me of how much Juventus is disliked throughout Italy, and of former coach Conte and current coach Allegri remarks that in Italy, there is no neutral Juventus fan: "you're either with Juventus or against".

In Turin, as a matter of caution and personal security I wear my scarf only once I reach Juventus 

Stadium never if I'm in transit to or from a match or gallivanting about town. 

Upon arriving in Turin, I prepared myself for what promises to be an important day for the faith of Juventus in the 2014-15 Champions League when they will host Olympiakos. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#SerieA Road Trip Personal Blog Day 8, Paying Respects to Crosstown Rivals

My very personal wish to Juventus on her 120th birthday

My Champions League Final