CatenaccioNA Serie A Weekly Round-up: Week 1




This week Serie A returned and so does my Serie A Weekly Round-Up in which I review the performance of North American Serie A players.

With Bryan Cristante not utilized by Inzaghi in Milan's home debut against Lazio and Giuseppe Rossi sidelined due to a slight injury, the sole North American player who played - and shined - was Scarborough, Canada native Jonathan De Guzman.




De Guzman, in fact, came on at the 74th minute in Genoa-Napoli with the score locked at 1-1. In the dying minutes Napoli poared on with multiple chances from Insigne, Callejon and Higuain respectively but Genoa shot stopper Mattia Perin was equal the the task every time.

In stoppage time, however, Zuniga floated a ball in for De Guzman who brought the ball down with his chest and came across the 6-yard box and hammered the ball in to give Napoli the win. The goal brought joy to Napoli's fans, still languishing midweek heartbreak from Champions League elimination at the hands of Athletic Bilbao.

"I'm very happy. I couldn't have had a better start. I wish to thank Benitez for putting me in and to have given me the chance to help my team. We really wanted to win after the elimination this Wednesday. I understood right away that there is a fantastic group here and a strong team. My goal is the reward for a game played well by all and a fantastic will to win" said De Guzman on www.SSCNapoli.it.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#SerieA Road Trip Personal Blog Day 8, Paying Respects to Crosstown Rivals

My very personal wish to Juventus on her 120th birthday

My Champions League Final