Conte Presented as New Italian National Team Coach




Today newly elected president Carlo Tavecchio presented Antonio Conte as new Azzurri coach at the FIGC's (Italian Federation's) headquarters. Highlights from the press conference:

Tavecchio: "The first phone call with Conte didn't end with his assent [to take on the role of coach]. I had to insist to create this energy with one of the best coaches in Europe. The second and third phone call gave me certainty that Conte would have accepted. The Nazionale is FIGC's biggest asset: choosing excellence was a must in order to emerge from this last World Cup. We needed a leader, a commander like Conte that may make us feel united and strong when the Italian national anthem is playing [before kickoff]".

Conte: "I can't deny I'm excited, because any coach in the world would like to be in my place, to represent Italy, which with Brazil is among the most important national teams in the world. I'm proud that president Tavecchio thought of me. Greatly proud. I'm very happy and would like to salute Cesare Prandelli who coached this team with great work. I wish him the best at Galatasaray. Also I would like to thank Arrigo Sacchi [recently quit his post as Italy's youth cooridnator] for his work with our youth system. When he's ready, as long as I'm around, the doors of the nazonale will always be open".

"I didn't expect to come back onto the scene after only 35 days. I thought of updating my technical and tactical skills by touring Europe, and of improving my languages while awaiting for a post to open up in a top European club. Then came president Tavecchio's call. One of a top, top, top club, because Italy represents the top of the top of clubs. After reflecting a bit... as you know challenges like these have never instilled fear in me, rather, they have always exalted me. With respect to the technical aspect I think that the players will those who come from a not-so-positive experience of this past World Cup, but I think that we have good players. Especially if we are able to turn these players into a team, under all viewpoints, I think that the technical gap that exists between Italy and other national teams that have more talented players than ours, can be bridged. I like difficult challenges. I think back to three years ago when I arrived at Juventus. Today I arrive at the Italian national team in a difficult moment, but I'm convinced that we can raise up. The entire movement needs to raise up because Italy needs to be among the top spots in the World".


On Individual Players

"Giuseppe Rossi is a great asset. I hope that he's able to resolve his health issues for the good of Fiorentina and the nazionale. Pirlo? I need to have a conversation with him with respect to his intentions, in light of his post-World Cup comments because I want him to tell me what he feels and I want him to hear what I have to tell him in a serene and tranquil way. However, I don't want to speak at great length of individuals, because all players have the possibility of being called up. The call ups must be earned because I evaluate everything at 360 degrees. In the most difficult moments it's real men who are needed, more so than great players. Better to have a great man than a superb player".


On Post-Juventus Period

"After three years in which we worked well, in which we undertook an intense, beautiful and winning path we reached a natural end of our rapport. We tried during the summer break to gauge whether this rapport could have been continued, but we noticed - both the club and I - that this rapport ended".


"Victory for me was a sweet sentence [at Juventus, and always]. I live to win, I live in search for victory - you know very well that the difference for me between winning and losing, is the difference between life and death, because when I lose, it's as if there is a death for me. I came here to bring my mentality to make them understand the difference between winning and losing. We will work so victory becomes a sweet sentence also for the nazionale".


Conte's Italy

Today I'm the coach of all Italians. We represent the country and I'm proud of that. As of today, in my head there is only one colour: the azzurro of Italy, within which there are many colours. I have a good rapport with a number of Serie A's coaches and with a number of their players. If we want to grow it's also right that the national team coach is sensitive to the needs of the club coaches, comparing methodologies, facilitating growth between the various components. By the same token, club coaches may also be less intransigent. My necessity is to turn the nazionale into a team, not a group of 11 players. The team must bring out, exalt the talent in each player. In this fashion we can do great things. The national team coach often has little time to work, thus he relies on blocks of players from one club. Look at Spain with Barçelona, Germany with Bayern. We will rely on Juventus' block to base my ideas. I have to optimize the time at my disposal, also to work in only 10 days a month. 

"We can also design mini-camps that are compatible to the club schedule, for example only with players who are not playing in European club competitions. What I want to do is to bring back to the nazionale the fibrillation for the call up, or the depression for not being called. It's a positive anxiety that I want to bring back. Everyone must demonstrate to want to wear the azzurro. It's better to have 25 players of lower level that are willing to demonstrate their will to win, than players who think of having the call up in their pocket. At Juventus, the players used to experience this anxiety. There will be no ethical code, but I will look at player behaviour: the choices will be adjudged by me personally, on a case-by-case basis. Punishments will vary based on their gravity. With respect to tactics, there isn't much time for invention, we have to start with those things taht I've done in the recent past with Juventus. I'm not interested in age, whether one is 16 or 36, what matters is that they run. I want an Italy that has the same spirit and winning mentality that all of my teams have had, not only Juventus. I will work a lot, but the group of players will also have this predisposition".



The Past: Suspension, Scudetti, and the Sponsor

"With respect to my suspension for the betting scandal of 2012, I repeat that it was an unjust suspension. I paid for something with great pain for me and my family. However, it was also a path that helped me grow also from a human standpoint. Being here after one and a half years is the best answer I can give. With respect to the number of scudetti Juventus has, for me, the ones that are most important are the eight that I won as a player and as coach. As far as the intereference by Puma in contributing to my compensation, my contract falls well within the parameters of the federation, plus I gave up my image rights to the FIGC which I have never done before - I'm also bothered by the question because those who know me know full well who Antonio Conte is and that nobody will impose their way on me".



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#SerieA Road Trip Personal Blog Day 8, Paying Respects to Crosstown Rivals

My very personal wish to Juventus on her 120th birthday

My Champions League Final